Sunday, February 5, 2012

Step One - Organization


The first thing to get up on my wall was a 3 x A3 big homemade calendar containing all dates from the beginning to the end of the semester. On here all the deadlines, electives, subjects, appointments, intermediate aims, events, daily accomplishments, presentation dates and so on will be put up.
The next item to go on the wall was a list of home-spun project guidelines. On the other semesters stress have been a normal part of the semester project - and this project is not going to be less demanding so to maintain good health and a reasonable amount of sanity I made the following list:
- Do not postpone
- Don't stress
- Engage, indulge, enjoy
- Dig deeper
- Be confident
- Go to bed
- Stay open-minded and be inspired
- Keep it real - don't under- or overestimate yourself
- Have fun
- K.I.S.S - Keep it Simple Stupid! Which a good friend of mine rephrased to "Keep it Simple Sweetie" - and so I will.

Since the study is called Art & Technology it is evident to make an incredibly high-tech project containing a lot of sensors, motors and projectors and glaze the miracle in hours and hours of programming. But - I am only one person so I simply cannot use hours and hours on programming and since other studies like Medialogy are incredible at programming and make perfectly good programmed projects I do not wish to make my project a "medialogy-light". So I will keep the technology simple - if I conclude that it is essential for the project and is to be part of it. I refuse to use technology just to have it "in there". It have to make sense and be part of the narrative that I'm going to have in the project. 

For the project I will be using a design process which I was taught while studying at Product Design at AUT in Auckland, New Zealand. The process consists of six stages which I will take you through as the concept develops. I will be using different methods for concept development in the initial stages of the project to create a concept that is appropriate for the city in which the project is going to be exhibited - namely Aalborg. I do not wish to simply get and idea and then try to make it fit. I want to base the project on research findings and thereby work "from the bottom and up" and not "top down".

But first I will need to create a design brief.

/Anne Sofie

No comments:

Post a Comment