Thursday, February 16, 2012

Step Two - Finalising the Brief

This post might get a little complicated as I'm attempting to explain a flow of ideas. Bare with me, stay open minded and keep in mind that this is just part of getting closer to the actual brief.

Now that I have settled that I want to make a difference with my project I have to find out what I want the project to concern. I have merged my four themes of interest: Life, Street Art, Collaborative Art and Biological Art to two directions:

'Making life awesome'
and
'Having fun in your surroundings'

I then brainstormed on the two directions and asked: "How can one make life awesome or extraordinary?" At the moment I'm only referring to my own thoughts on the subject and here follows some of the keywords:
Explore - Play - Fall in love - Be a child - Make a to do list - Dare to dream - Make your dreams reality - Live your dream - Go out of your comfort zone - Help others - Share - Show and tell - Do something in a way you normally wouldn't do - Make a difference - Experience - Ask questions - Try something new - Meet new people - Reach goals - Talk to people you normally wouldn't talk to - Question your thoughts/prejudice, ask "why do I think that" - Do something extraordinary - Make new friends - Be curious - Create
Then I asked: "How can you have fun in your surroundings?" This brainstorm was much more loose than the one described above and dragged a lot of questions into it.
I ended up with two "clouds" of little Post It's on my wall, containing both keywords and questions. I then drew a line from each cloud pointing towards a Post It with the words:

Take it to the streets 
Make it urban
Make it global


From that Post It an arrow pointed towards the word Project. And then... I waited. I needed to digest the inputs and give it all some thought. And after some time the arrow was no longer pointing towards Project but towards the word "Exploration". And by that I mean...

Exploration of life

Some other Post It's clarifying the theme quickly assembled in a cloud next to Exploration:
"About exploring your surroundings and gaining new experiences from life - leaving messages - leaving art behind - leaving something for others to find - give clues or not - sharing - getting away from the beaten track - connecting the dots - Geo Caching - mapping the city alternatively - "Explore the World and Open Your Mind - QR Code (generator) - use satellites/GPS - quote from a comedian: "I don't want to die curious" - Flow - Urban/City game - must there be rules? - open your mind up and find something new - prejudice - fear of the unknown - fear can stop you from doing things - open-mindedness - letting something else dictate something e.g. where to go or what to do - explore something specific or get a "random surprise".
This all assembles to: a project that under the theme Experience Design is ought to make a difference by encouraging exploration of life - in some way or another.

Now there is something to chew on! And I hope it didn't get too confusing.

/Anne Sofie

No comments:

Post a Comment